Welcome to my classic sugar cookie recipe! This recipe is a tried and true favorite that has been passed down through generations. It is a simple and delicious cookie that is perfect for any occasion. The dough is easy to work with and can be cut into any shape you desire. The cookies are lightly sweetened with sugar and have a buttery flavor that is sure to please. Enjoy!
Classic Sugar Cookies – Jessica Gavin
These classic sugar cookies are a must-have for any holiday gathering. They are soft and chewy with a hint of vanilla and almond extract. The dough is easy to work with and can be cut into any shape you desire. Decorate with colorful sprinkles or a simple glaze for a festive touch.
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating until combined. Beat in the vanilla and almond extracts.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Divide the dough in half and shape each half into a disk. Wrap each disk in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out one disk of dough to 1/4-inch thickness. Cut out desired shapes with cookie cutters and place on prepared baking sheets. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the edges are lightly golden. Allow to cool on baking sheets for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Decorate with sprinkles or a simple glaze, if desired.
Get able to make festive vacation sugar cookies which have frivolously crisp edges and mushy, chewy facilities. Excellent for adorning! The dough shops effectively, so you may put together it upfront till able to bake.
Desk of Contents
- Tools choice
- Use soften butter
- Cream the butter and sugar
- Add room temperature eggs
- Lemon enhances the flavour
- Baking powder creates tenderness
- Don’t overmix the cookie dough
- The significance of chilling the dough
- Able to roll out
- Reduce out enjoyable shapes
- Bake chilly dough
- Experiment with different flavors
- Enjoyable adorning concepts
- Traditional Sugar Cookies Recipe
When the vacation season rolls round, each house baker wants a dependable basic sugar cookie recipe. To make sure that the dough holds its attribute form there are only a few key steps: managing the temperature of the components, how they’re included, and resting. When you grasp the method, you may enhance to your coronary heart’s need or simply eat them as is.
Not solely do these cut-out cookies bake up into attractive golden treats, they style good too! The best ratio of components yields a buttery, frivolously candy taste. I additionally add in freshly grated lemon zest for a pleasant citrus aroma and style. The feel has a stunning mushy chew within the middle and crisp edges.
To rapidly and effectively make the cookie dough, I take advantage of a stand mixer. I discover that the paddle attachment successfully lotions the butter and sugar collectively with out over whipping the combination. Alternatively, you should use an electrical hand mixer with beaters.
Use soften butter
It’s important to melt the butter slightly below room temperature, about 65 to 67ºF (18 to 19ºC). This ensures that the needle-like beta prime fats crystals maintain their form in order that the dough can lure air. You may depart the butter out at room temperature for about half-hour, or slice them into smaller items to hurry up the method. Some microwaves have a setting for softening. There ought to be somewhat resistance when pressed along with your finger; it ought to depart an indent.
Cream the butter and sugar
The malleable texture of the softened butter makes it simpler to combine with the granulated sugar. These two components combine first in a course of referred to as creaming. This technique beats in tiny air pockets into the fats to create a light-weight and tender crumb within the cookie. The combination ought to look gentle and fluffy, an indication of air included inside.
Add room temperature eggs
Eggs which can be related in temperature with the opposite components mix higher. The feel is much less thick, so it mixes extra easily. It additionally prevents the butter from clumping up when added chilly. I like to put the chilly eggs in a bowl, cowl with heat (not sizzling) water and let it sit out for five to 10 minutes earlier than utilizing.
Lemon enhances the flavour
To make the easy vanilla-flavored cookie extra fascinating, add in contemporary citrus. I take advantage of only a teaspoon of lemon zest on this recipe. The pure oils within the pores and skin launch a beautiful aroma and taste throughout baking, however with out the bitter style.
Baking powder creates tenderness
Only a small quantity of this chemical leavening agent offers elevate within the cookie dough as a result of gasoline formation. This permits the facilities to be mushy (however not cakey), and nonetheless have a pleasant chew. The baking soda throughout the product accelerates the Maillard browning response throughout the quick bake time that yields crisp edges. I solely add somewhat. In any other case, the cookies will unfold out an excessive amount of and never maintain their form.
Don’t overmix the cookie dough
When you add the flour to the dough, combine it simply sufficient in order that the flour is now not seen. Overmixing will increase gluten-formation, which causes the flour proteins to turn into very robust. When baked, the cookies may have a more durable texture.
The significance of chilling the dough
Chilling the dough helps the cookies maintain their form and prevents them from spreading throughout baking. Refrigerating for a minimum of 3 hours or 1 ½ hour within the freezer hardens the butter after creaming in order that the dough companies up. The remainder time additionally permits the protein bonds within the flour developed throughout gluten-formation to calm down. This course of prevents a tricky exhausting cookie.
Able to roll out
Separate the dough into two parts to make it simpler to roll. This method additionally reduces the time that the dough sits at room temperature. It’s a lot simpler to work with cool dough. It will likely be barely sticky, so use as a lot flour as wanted for dusting the floor. Purpose for a thickness of ¼-inch to offer a pleasant sturdy cookie for adorning.
Reduce out enjoyable shapes
You need to use any kind of cookie cutter to make ornamental shapes. If the dough sticks to the blades, you may dip them first into some flour earlier than urgent into the dough. Pair related sizes on the identical sheet pan. Smaller 2-inch cookies want much less time to bake than 4-inch dimension.
For this recipe, I take advantage of about 3-inch sized cutters. Should you combine up the sizes an excessive amount of, the baking might be uneven. If that is unavoidable, simply make certain to take away the small cookies sooner from the oven and let the bigger items bake longer as wanted.
Bake chilly dough
To cut back the unfold of the cookie, bake when the dough continues to be cool to the contact. This ensures that the butter continues to be agency sufficient that it doesn’t soften too rapidly. Work quick after rolling out the dough and slicing your shapes. If not baking instantly, you may at all times refrigerate the sheet tray with the items on it.
Experiment with different flavors
- Substitute orange zest for lemon, or omit the citrus altogether.
- Attempt peppermint, almond, or anise extract as a substitute of vanilla.
- Use actual vanilla beans or vanilla bean paste as a substitute of vanilla extract to create speckles within the cookies.
Enjoyable adorning concepts
- Unfold some cream cheese frosting on high for a candy and tangy topping.
- Adorn with royal icing for extra intricate designs.
- Use a easy sugar glaze for a shiny look.
- Pipe or unfold some frosting on high and add your favourite sprinkles.
- Add gel or liquid colours to the dough when combining the moist components to alter the colour look.
Solely re-roll the dough as soon as
Even for those who methodically lower out the cookies as shut as doable, you’ll nonetheless have further scraps of dough. These items could be reformed right into a ball, chilled, then rolled out once more. Nevertheless, solely reroll them as soon as. The extra you’re employed the dough, the extra gluten-formation will happen and toughen the cookie.
Pin this recipe to save lots of for later
In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the softened butter and sugar. Combine in medium-low pace (setting 4) till gentle and fluffy, 2 minutes. Scrape down the edges of the bowl with a spatula.
Add the room temperature eggs, lemon zest, and vanilla extract. Combine on medium-high pace (setting 6) till mixed, 20 to 30 seconds. Scrape down the paddle, aspect, and backside of the bowl.
Sift the flour and baking powder right into a medium bowl. Add the salt, whisk to mix, then add to the mixer. Pulse on and off 8 instances. Scrape down the edges of the bowl. Combine on low pace (setting 2) till the dough simply comes collectively, 10 to fifteen seconds. Don’t overmix. Use a spatula to provide a remaining combine. The dough may have a sticky consistency.
Switch half of the dough to a chunk of plastic wrap, cowl, and press right into a 1-inch thick disc. Repeat with the remaining dough. Refrigerate for a minimum of 3 hours or freeze for 1 ½ hours. The dough could be positioned in a resealable plastic bag for as much as 5 days, or frozen for as much as 1 month and defrosted earlier than utilizing.
Line two baking sheets with parchment paper then put aside. Set the oven rack to the center place. Warmth to 350ºF (177ºC).
Work with one piece of dough at a time to maintain it cool. Enable the dough to sit down on the counter for 3 to five minutes to make it simpler to roll.
Frivolously mud the work floor, the highest of the dough, and the rolling pin with flour, utilizing extra as wanted because the dough is barely sticky. Roll, rotate, and dirt with flour till ¼-inch thick.
Instantly use desired cookie cutters to chop out shapes, slicing them as shut collectively as doable. Switch the items to the parchment paper lined sheet pans, about 1-inch aside. Any further dough scraps could be rerolled out 1 extra time. If wanted, chill earlier than rolling.
Bake the cookies whereas nonetheless cool one tray at a time. If not baking instantly after slicing, preserve them chilled within the fridge. Bake for six minutes, rotate, and bake for an extra 5 minutes, or till the floor is dry and bottoms are frivolously golden brown.
Cool on the baking sheet for 3 to five minutes then switch to a wire rack. Alternatively, for a softer cookie with much less crisp edges, instantly switch to the wire rack after eradicating from the oven. Fully cool the cookies earlier than adorning, about half-hour.
Roll out the remaining piece of dough and repeat the slicing and baking course of. If reusing the parchment paper lined sheet pans, make certain the pan is cooled down earlier than utilizing.
- Correctly weigh the flour: Weigh the flour on a digital scale for probably the most correct outcomes. Alternatively, dip the measuring cup into the flour, then sweep off the surplus flour. This makes for a denser measurement, however don’t pack the flour within the cup.
- Bake time: About 10 minutes for 2-inch cookies, 11 minutes for 3-inch cookies, or 12 minutes for 4-inch cookies. A visible examine would be the finest information.
- Baking a smaller batch: If baking solely about 6 cookies on a tray, examine for doneness sooner. After baking for six minutes and rotating, examine each 1 minute. They brown a lot quicker as a result of much less moisture within the setting.
- Make-ahead dough: The dough could be blended and saved refrigerated for as much as 5 days, or 1 month frozen. Unbaked cut-out cookies could be lined and refrigerated for as much as 5 days, or frozen for two weeks.
- Storing: Retailer baked cookies in an hermetic container at room temperature for as much as 5 to 7 days. Retailer within the freezer.
Need to save this recipe?
Create an account simply save your favourite content material, so that you always remember a recipe once more.
Traditional Sugar Cookies
Quantity Per Serving
Energy from Fats 36
% Each day Worth*
Saturated Fats 3g15%
Ldl cholesterol 19mg6%
Vitamin A 131IU3%
Vitamin C 1mg1%
* P.c Each day Values are based mostly on a 2000 calorie weight loss plan.
Tried this recipe?
Tag @jessica_gavin on Instagram. I would like to see the way it seems!