When it comes to snacking, crackers are a popular choice. But not all crackers are created equal. Many store-bought crackers are loaded with unhealthy ingredients like refined flour, sugar, and unhealthy fats. Fortunately, there are plenty of healthy crackers available that are made with wholesome ingredients like whole grains, nuts, and seeds. In this article, we’ll take a look at 11 store-bought crackers that are actually healthy. We’ll discuss the nutritional benefits of each cracker and provide some tips for choosing the healthiest option. So, if you’re looking for a healthier snack option, read on to learn more about these 11 healthy store-bought crackers.
11 Store-Bought Crackers That Are Actually Healthy
When it comes to snacking, crackers are a popular choice. But not all crackers are created equal. Many store-bought crackers are loaded with unhealthy ingredients like refined flour, added sugar, and unhealthy fats. But there are plenty of healthy crackers out there that are made with wholesome ingredients and provide a good source of nutrition.
Here are 11 store-bought crackers that are actually healthy:
- Mary’s Gone Crackers – These organic, gluten-free crackers are made with whole grains like brown rice, quinoa, and flaxseed. They are also free of added sugar and preservatives.
- Doctor Kracker – These organic, whole grain crackers are made with a variety of seeds and grains like flaxseed, sesame, and millet. They are also free of added sugar and preservatives.
- Kashi 7 Whole Grain Crackers – These organic, whole grain crackers are made with a variety of grains like oats, wheat, and barley. They are also free of added sugar and preservatives.
- Late July Organic Crackers – These organic, whole grain crackers are made with a variety of grains like corn, quinoa, and flaxseed. They are also free of added sugar and preservatives.
- Back to Nature Crackers – These organic, whole grain crackers are made with a variety of grains like wheat, oats, and rye. They are also free of added sugar and preservatives.
- Ak-Mak Crackers – These organic, whole grain crackers are made with a variety of grains like wheat, oats, and rye. They are also free of added sugar and preservatives.
- Ryvita Crackers – These organic, whole grain crackers are made with a variety of grains like wheat, oats, and rye. They are also free of added sugar and preservatives.
- Triscuit Crackers – These organic, whole grain crackers are made with a variety of grains like wheat, oats, and rye. They are also free of added sugar and preservatives.
- Wheat Thins – These organic, whole grain crackers are made with a variety of grains like wheat, oats, and rye. They are also free of added sugar and preservatives.
- Keebler Town House Crackers – These organic, whole grain crackers are made with a variety of grains like wheat, oats, and rye. They are also free of added sugar and preservatives.
- Ritz Crackers – These organic, whole grain crackers are made with a variety of grains like wheat, oats, and rye. They are also free of added sugar and preservatives.
These store-bought crackers are a great way to enjoy a healthy snack without sacrificing taste. They are packed with whole grains, fiber, and other nutrients that can help keep you feeling full and satisfied.
Crackers can appear so harmless. You crumble them into soup, nibble on them with ginger ale once you’re sick, or high ’em with cheese when sipping a little bit vino. However in the case of healthful substances and cheap dietary info, wholesome crackers can appear nowhere in sight.
That is as a result of many store-bought crackers are made with refined grains, lack fiber, and are excessive in sodium. However that should not deter you from together with these snacks in your weight loss program.
“Crackers might be an effective way to get a serving of complete grains into the weight loss program,” says dietitian Jenna Appel, MS, RD, LDN, CPT, and proprietor of Appel Vitamin.
Plus, crackers might be part of a nutritious diet by encouraging you to eat different wholesome meals as toppings, comparable to peanut butter, cheese, olives, smoked salmon, and hummus. In fact, with most diet recommendation, moderation is essential: “Be aware of your cracker toppings as what you devour together with your crackers can result in extra calorie, fats, or sodium consumption,” says Appel.
We all know that discovering wholesome crackers within the snack aisle might be hit and miss. Which is why we requested dietitian nutritionists for his or her recommendation on how they decide the healthiest crackers.
How to decide on wholesome crackers.
When shopping for crackers, there are some things it is advisable to contemplate to make sure you’re shopping for the most effective.
- Ensure that “complete grain” is the primary ingredient: “You need to ensure that they’re 100% complete grain crackers. The primary ingredient ought to be 100% complete grain flour,” says registered dietitian Amanda A. Kostro Miller, RD, LDN, who serves on the advisory board for Good Wholesome Residing.
- Search for crackers with a minimum of 3 grams of fiber. “One other factor to attempt for in a wholesome cracker is fiber. Look on the diet label of your crackers. Attempt to seek for crackers which have probably the most fiber in comparison with different manufacturers. A number of the crackers within the grocery retailer might solely have 3 grams per serving,” Kostro Miller says.
- Watch out for excessive sodium ranges. “When doable, strive to decide on crackers which have much less sodium, as a result of controlling your sodium consumption is necessary for everybody,” Kostro Miller says.
- There ought to be little or no added sugar. Most People are already consuming a high-sugar weight loss program. You need to ensure that savory crackers aren’t taking up to your every day restrict of added sugar. “Slightly added honey is alright, but it surely’s often greatest to keep away from excessive fructose corn syrup or crackers with multiple sort of sugar. For those who’re on the lookout for a wholesome cracker selection, hold the added sugar in examine: not more than 1-2 grams of sugar per serving is greatest,” says dietitian Caitlin Self, MS, CNS, LDN.
The 12 healthiest store-bought crackers you should buy.
This listing of wholesome crackers will enable you decipher which of the largest gamers to select from once you’re at your grocery retailer.
1. Greatest General: Triscuit Unique Crackers
6 crackers (28 g): 120 energy, 3.5 g fats (0 g saturated fats), 160 mg sodium, 20 g carbs (3 g fiber, 0 g sugar), 3 g protein
You’ll be able to’t beat the purity of this recipe: complete wheat, oil, and salt. Interval. It is what led to many dietitians recommending Triscuit as one of many healthiest crackers you should buy. “I like to recommend Triscuit crackers as a result of they provide a number of completely different daring flavors,” says Kostro Miller. “Even their flavored crackers just like the cracked pepper and olive oil solely has 140 milligrams of sodium per serving. Their different flavors as effectively are very satisfying, and whole-grain wheat tends to be the primary ingredient!”
2. Greatest Seeded: Mary’s Gone Crackers Tremendous Seed Traditional
12 crackers (30 g): 150 energy, 7 g fats (1 g saturated fats), 280 mg sodium, 16 g carbs (3 g fiber, 0 g sugar), 5 g protein
For a crispbread-like texture in cracker type, Mary’s Gone Crackers are a traditional. You may nearly at all times see Mary’s Gone Crackers on lists of the healthiest crackers as a result of they style nice, are made with easy substances, and examine a number of dietary packing containers: gluten-free, natural, vegan, and non-GMO. Dietitian Rachel Tremendous, MS, RD, CSSD, CDN, proprietor of To The Pointe Vitamin says these crackers “are one other favourite high-fiber possibility with a mixture of fibrous grains and seeds.”
3. Greatest for Weight Loss: GG Scandinavian Fiber Crispbread, Oat Bran
1 crispbread, 8 g: 30 energy, 0 g fats (0 g saturated fats), 0 mg sodium, 6 g carbs (4 g fiber, 0 g sugar), 1 g protein
When registered dietitian Brocha Soloff, BS, RD, CDN of iHeartHealth is on the lookout for wholesome crackers, she appears to be like for the least substances, lowest internet carb, and highest fiber: a triple risk for weight reduction. Her favourite cracker for well being and weight administration is that this one from Norwegian crispbread firm, GG’s. Snack on two of those crispbreads and you will get a 3rd of your every day worth of fiber in! This Scandinavian snack packs in zero sodium and simply two nutrient-dense substances—wheat bran and oat bran—for a very healthful eat. “Crackers can and ought to be a part of a nutritious diet. In reality, they’re [much] higher than most bread for weight administration,” Soloff says.
4. Greatest Excessive-Protein: Again to Nature Entire Lotta Seeds Crackers
4 crackers (32 g): 150 energy, 6 g fats (0.5 g saturated fats), 360 mg sodium, 16 g carbs (2 g fiber, 2 g sugar), 7 g protein
Together with the pure fiber and protein discovered within the 4 seeds (flax, chia, poppy, and hemp), Again to Nature increase the muscle-building, satiating protein depend in these crackers by including plant-based pea protein powder. A serving of those crackers will fill you up with extra protein than an egg!
5. Greatest Gluten-Free: CrunchMaster Multi-Grain Sea Salt
16 crackers, 20 g: 120 energy, 3 g fats (0 g saturated fats), 140 mg sodium, 24 g carbs (3 g fiber, 1 g sugar), 2 g protein
This decide packs in a complete lot of crunch and healthful substances. It is baked with brown rice flour, oat fiber, sesame seeds, quinoa, millet, and flaxseed. And when you’re on the lookout for a cracker to munch on as an alternative of chips, Crunchmaster makes an ideal possibility. “For those who’re trying to do some snacking for the aim of snacking, [Crunchmaster’s Multi-grain Crackers] are nice choices as a result of they’re low calorie so you may eat extra of them. Plus the feel is so crisp it feels satisfying to chomp down on these!” says Lindsey Herr, RDN, LDN, of Your Dietitian Good friend.
6. Greatest Low-Carb, Keto: Fats Snax! Almond Flour Traditional Crackers
17 crackers (30 g): 130 energy, 11 g fats (3.5 g saturated fats), 240 mg sodium, 6 g carbs (3 g fiber, <1 g sugar), 5 g protein
For those who’re on a low-carb or keto weight loss program, these almond flour-based crackers are your greatest wager with simply 3 grams of internet carbs per serving. They’re low in sodium and get their protein punch from almonds and egg whites and additional fiber from flaxseeds.
7. Greatest Made-with-Veggies: From The Floor Up Cauliflower Crackers
40 crackers, 28 g: 100 energy, 2.5 g fats (1 g saturated fats), 280 mg sodium, 18 g carbs (2 g fiber, 2 g sugar), 2 g protein
These infants are baked with cauliflower flour, lentil flour, and a veggie mix. One serving packs in 10 p.c of your every day worth of nutritional vitamins A, E, B6, B1 D, and C.
8. Greatest Paleo Cracker: Easy Mills Rosemary & Sea Salt Almond Flour Crackers
17 crackers, 30 g: 150 energy, 8 g fats (0.5 g saturated fats), 180 mg sodium, 17 g carbs (2 g fiber, <1 g sugar), 3 g protein
The primary ingredient on this gluten-free field is a nut and seed flour mix concocted with almonds, sunflower seeds, and flax seeds—so you understand a giant chunk of the eight grams of fats in every serving comes from heart-healthy omega-3s and vitamin E. “Easy Mills crackers are an ideal possibility for these with allergy symptoms as they’re made with almond flour, somewhat than wheat flour,” says Tremendous.
9. Greatest Excessive-Fiber Cracker: Wasa Crispbread Fiber
2 crispbreads, 20 g: : 60 energy, 1 g fats (0 g saturated fats), 90 mg sodium, 14 g carbs (5 g fiber, 0 g sugar), 3 g protein
“These crackers are low in energy and pack in quantity of dietary fiber to maintain you feeling full. As a result of dimension and form of those crackers, you should utilize them as a substitute for bread supplying you with a satisfying crunch!” says Appel. The wheat germ, bran, and whole-grain rye in these crackers actually amp up the fiber content material right here, whereas the sesame seeds add in wholesome fats. Whereas Wasa is our favourite high-fiber cracker, it will also be used for weight reduction. Soloff additionally recommends Wasa for shoppers who do not just like the graininess of GG’s.
10. Greatest for Youngsters: Annie’s Entire Wheat Bunnies
51 items, 30 g: 140 energy, 6 g fats (0.5 g saturated fats), 250 mg sodium, 19 g carbs (2 g fiber, 0 g sugar), 3 g protein
For those who’re on the lookout for a wholesome cracker for teenagers, Annie’s has your reply. “Annie’s Entire Wheat Bunnies are glorious complete grain snacks for teenagers. I give them to my 5-year-old son. They style nice and filled with vitamins and fiber!” says registered dietitian nutritionist Sandra Murray Gultry, MS, RDN, LDN, CSOWM, and proprietor of It is All About Decisions. This healthful Annie’s decide packs in natural complete wheat flour, sunflower oil, and a little bit of actual cheddar for a refined taste. You may discover zero synthetic preservatives on this field.
11. Greatest Connoisseur: Rustic Bakery Handmade Sourdough Flatbread
1 ounce (28 g): 80 energy, 2 g fats (0.5 g saturated fats), 200 mg sodium, 14 g carbs (0 g fiber, 1 g sugar), 2 g protein
Though it does not meet our fiber necessities, Rustic Bakery is a dietitian-approved cracker once you’re whipping up a elaborate cheese plate. “Palms down the most effective store-bought crackers are from Rustic Bakery. The sourdough possibility is my favourite as a result of the baking includes fermentation, which attracts yeast and micro organism. These reside organisms digest the advanced starches within the dough. The size of time that the dough ferments is instantly associated to the break-down of gluten in a course of known as hydrolysis,” says Laura Lagano, MD, RDN, CDN, integrative & purposeful nutritionist with an in-person & digital personal observe. Lagano notes that fermented crackers like this may be useful for people who find themselves delicate to gluten, however they’re nonetheless not greatest for people with Celiac illness.
The worst crackers to your well being.
Many of the crackers that did not meet our wholesome cracker standards fell on the worst listing as a result of they’re made with refined grains, lack fiber, are excessive in sodium, or comprise added sugars.
1. Worst: Nabisco Wheat Thins Unique
PER 16 CRACKERS, 31 G: 140 energy, 5 g fats (0 g saturated fats), 230 mg sodium, 22 g carbs (3 g fiber, 5 g sugar), 2 g protein
Wheat Thins comprise an honest fiber and protein content material, however the 5 grams of sugar per serving is just pointless.
RELATED: 150+ recipe concepts that get you lean for all times.
2. Worst: Carr’s Desk Water Crackers
4 crackers, 14 g: 60 energy, 1 g fats (0 g saturated), 80 mg sodium, 10 g carbs (<1 g fiber, 0 g sugar), 1 g protein
White crackers haven’t got a lot dietary worth, it is true, however plain crackers are a lifesaver for once you’re sick or simply need one thing to pair a slice of Swiss with.
3. Worst: Keebler Membership Crackers, Unique
PER 4 PIECES: 70 energy, 3 g fats (0 g saturated fats), 125 mg sodium, 9 g carbs (0 g fiber, 1 g sugar), 0 g protein
Positively plain, however not so nice. These Keebler Membership Crackers pack in sugar and salt with none fiber or protein.
4. Worst: Ritz Roasted Vegetable
PER 5 CRACKERS, 16 G: 80 energy, 3 g fats (1 g saturated fats), 150 mg sodium, 10 g carbs (0 g fiber, 1 g sugar), 1 g protein
Whereas this recipe incorporates dehydrated greens, the primary ingredient continues to be refined flour. Plus, it packs in hydrogenated oils and high-fructose corn syrup, one of many unhealthiest meals on the planet.
5. Worst: Ritz Bits, Cheese
PER 13 PIECES, 31 G: 160 energy, 9 g fats (3 g saturated fats), 160 mg sodium, 18 g carbs (0 g fiber, 4 g sugar), 2 g protein
Dirty with sugar and partially hydrogenated cottonseed oil—you may undoubtedly discover a higher cracker to nosh on.
6. Worst: Cheez-It Unique
PER 27 CRACKERS, 30 G: 150 energy, 8 g fats (2 g saturated fats), 230 mg sodium, 17 g carbs (<1 g fiber, 0 g sugar), 3 g protein
Cheez-Its’ lack of fiber will not stop your starvation from hovering minutes after you nosh on these savory bits.
7. Worst: Keebler Membership Crackers, Multigrain
PER 4 CRACKERS, 14 G: 60 energy, 2.5 g fats (0 g saturated fats), 140 mg sodium, 10 g carbs (0 g fiber, 2 g sugar), <1 g protein
Whereas it is marketed as a plain, multi-grain cracker, you may discover extra sugar than fiber on this deceitful decide.
8. Worst: Keebler City Home Flatbread Crisps Sea Salt & Olive Oil
PER 8 CRACKERS, 15 G: 70 energy, 2 g fats (0 g saturated fats), 140 mg sodium, 11 g carbs (<1 g fiber, <1 g sugar), 1 g protein
The 4 grams of fats right here come from inflammatory soybean oil. Arduous move.